Sunday 31 July 2011

Week 1


When starting this course, I found that I had very little prior knowledge on this subject. I had been exposed to the very basics in school by looking at topics like ‘dot paintings’ and ‘dreamtime stories’, as well as examining the Aboriginal flag. These were very brief and because that happened many years ago, I haven’t retained much of that information. As a white Australian growing up in the Eastern suburbs, I have not had the experience of interacting or being able to connect with any Indigenous people.

Because of my unfamiliarity with this topic, I am looking forward to learning and deepening my understanding of Indigenous art, design and culture. I hope to broaden my knowledge through experience and looking at various exhibitions, films and other media. Through this emersion, I look forward to gaining valuable information that will help me understand a different and unique culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment