Tuesday 18 October 2011

Jason Wing - The Other, Other Exhibition

Jason Wing is a young Aboriginal artist from Sydney. His father is Chinese (Cantonese) and his mother is an Aboriginal woman from the Biripi people in the Upper Hunter region of New South Wales. He is a versatile artist who explores issues of bi-cultural and Indigenous political identity, environmental awareness and spirituality. He appears to have a distinctive style with a 'street-wise' flair shown through his strong use of stencil printing.

I thought this exhibition was very unusual and not at all what I was expecting. The majority of his work were all either three dimensional or large scale posters; there were no paintings. When I was looking around I found there were no artist descriptions on the plaques next to each work. I think this means that he wanted viewers to interpret his work in their own way. It seemed to me that he wanted to be confronting and evoke a sense of shock to viewers. I think his work was very relevant to todays issues of alcohol abuse, drugs and graffiti.
'Self portrait'  2010  
cement, acrylic paint

'Rainbow Dreaming'  2009
syringes, food colouring 


'Waiting to exhale' 2009
aluminum spray can


'Blacktown Dreaming'  2010  
Beds made of spray cans, syringes and beer bottles.

These beds were very creative and were one of the works that first grabbed my attention. The repetition of the different mediums were striking and created a dynamic effect. I stood up close and got to appreciate the preciseness of the placement of each item. 

His website can be found here: www.jasonwing.net

No comments:

Post a Comment