Wednesday 26 October 2011

Message Stick: The Power of Rarrk

I borrowed a recorded DVD at the Uni library of an old message stick episode. It featured artists from the community of Maningrida in north west Arnhem Land. I was pariculary interested in John Mawurndjul as he is one of the artists I am researching for my major essay. He was taught Rarrk, a traditional painting technique that uses fine cross-hatching and infill. It was originally from body painting; and the ceremonial origins of Rarrk is what gives the paintings their power.

John Mawurndjul using the Rarrk technique.

"I create paintings connected to this country I have absolute love for this country Today I want the stories and images of the paintings to be seen" - John Mawurndjul.
I thought what he said about his work was really inspiring. He wants to share his art and show others the stories of the land. It was amazing to watch the precise accuracy of his brush strokes and the fascinating way he burned the bark to flatten it. The emotional and spiritual connection to the land can be seen through his use of bark and other natural materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment